Friday, August 15, 2008

Review of LIVE HUMANS

EVENT: Live Humans
DATE & TIME: 2nd & 3rd Tuesdays of the month, 7:30 - midnight
LOCATION: Palace of Wonders
COST: FREE
DETAILS: Open Mic Variety Night

I have only been performing and producing burlesque for about a year-and-a-half although I think in my mind I have been a performer all my life. By no means do I profess to be an expert or professional performer like so many wonderful artists I know - I just really happen to enjoy performing, seeing others have opportunities to have fun, work their craft & express themselves and mostly - entertain people and help us all forget the mundane even if momentarily! I will be the first to admit that I need all the practice in the world to refine my moves, stage presence, act development, confidence ... you name it. But one thing's for sure, I truly believe that practice does make perfect (at least for me, and as close to perfect as possible).

I was recently contacted by Andy Rothwell of LIVE HUMANS to perform -- as were many other area performers -- and I was excited to take advantange of this opportunity to test out a new act on stage and see what other hidden talent we have in our midst. Plus, it's free to everyone, no pressure and was really energizing to meet new people and discover a new night at the Palace.

This open-mic variety night is held the 2nd & 3rd Tuesdays of each month and no, you don't get paid, but I used the show as a chance to try out new work and even speak a little on stage . It was so incredibly useful, it even surprised me! (And my new act worked, by the way) The crowd was receptive, a great showcase of all sorts of talent and really appreciated what others had to do and say. Again, couldn't recommend it more if you're looking to try something new - even a totally different skill all together ... what's even better is that you can get there anytime - no pressure of a call if you're running late, etc. A very laid-back supportive atmosphere.

Thumbs up - thanks Andy!

No comments: